Superficial, so what?


Yes, very superficial.
Judge away.

This morning I got out of bed too late and of course the whole breakfast-lunch preparation-kids getting dressed-morning fights-dirty diapers-Mom showering -situation got out of hand.
Any other day it would’ve been ok, I’d just throw on whatever clothes and run out the door, but today I had an important meeting to go to.

My winter clothes are still in storage because I wait until the last few minutes of fall to put on socks and boots.
But the weather has been shitty and I really should’ve gotten around to it last week. 
I am procrastinating because I hate shoving jackets, boots and sweaters into my tiny closet.

Today the heavy rain called for rain boots, no doubt - but no - I opted for the open toe booties and tights trend that it’s definitely not my cup of tea but it was all I had.

As we are running to get to PS 40 with umbrellas, a stroller and several bags, it hits me.
What the fuck am I wearing?
Dress, vest, biker-jacket, odd-color-net-tights and black open toe booties.
Oh my God.
What is this mess of a combination? I can’t go anywhere like this.

I didn’t even have a chance to check myself out in the mirror nor did I care, since we had to fucking-run/fly to get to school on time.

Shit and double shit.

I had to waste one hour of my morning and money too – in order to auto-correct such mistake.

First and foremost, I got myself a pair of black tights and second, a pair of black
mary-janes, that actually did the trick for the weird vest-dress situation I decided to put on this morning.

I hate to spend money foolishly, but here’s the thing- if you go into an important meeting feeling uncomfortable in your skin - or clothes – same difference, nothing flows as easy.

I am sorry but it just doesn’t.

I remember many years ago, I was pregnant with Juliana and had a new business pitch meeting. That morning I was feeling terrible and ugly so I decided to grab a non-pregnancy tight dress (with spandex of course) and show off my belly.

When I stood up to present in that meeting room, I felt as if no one could concentrate on my voice nor the work - it was all blocked by my huge spandex-covered belly.
I felt like an idiot for not having chosen the black A-shaped dress that looked so cute on me.
Pregnant women can aspire to be cute, just never aspire to lycra fiber.
I don’t care what people say.

Never again I said to myself, I will I wear a trend that I have a minor percentage of doubt about.

So,
No open toe booties with tights for me.

And I better wear these new mary-janes a couple of times because they were fucking expensive, but it's the price one has to pay for a major fashion faux pas.

Looks and clothes are superficial, they are minor details, I know this.
But feeling good about one-self during an important meeting, that’s fucking huge.

Huge.




1 comment:

  1. I have to say I agree...when you don't feel comfortable it shows and it fucks with your brain...I had an event for Tiffany & Co. @ the Waldorf and had to talk to some A listers...I had a shirt and some nice skinny jeans on...I started to get nervous, I felt something was missing...so I bought a bowtie, an overpriced bowtie...that turned out to be a success, having Gloria Estefan say "oh my God, que lindo!" and Nacho Figueras say "what a nice bowtie"...it was totally worth it and gave me the confidence to move around all these people that surely spent much more time and money than me on their outfit...but surely didn't look as confident as I did...superficial? maybe...honest & practical? FOR SURE

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.