Are you fucking kidding me?



What the hell is wrong with people?
I think that in a world over-populated by information, opinion columns, editorial pieces, millions of blogs and simply an infinite amount of web traffic – there are of course, way too many idiots getting their word out there.
It’s obvious.

It’s like the Pop Star-who-can’t-carry-a-tune-phenomenon and it’s all good.
Let’s just say it all belongs in a world where thankfully there’s freedom of speech.

But when I read blogs like the one I read today, I just want to scream.
Maybe even more than that,
Today, I felt like strangling the writer.

But before I move on to destroying this woman, named Penelope Trunk, allow me to get something off my chest…
Did I miss the memo, telling us women that having kids is just about the most uncool thing ever?

I didn’t know.

So here I am sitting in a meeting, with a bunch of young people, talking at some point about my kids – this only happened because I was illustrating a point I had made during our conversation.
I was using them in the context of an example.

The room’s poker-faced reaction after this incident, said it all, and my friend agreed,
- No, no, no Sofia, don’t mention the kids to these Millennial guys. Ever, ever.

Really?
I was trying to illustrate my fucking point and let me just say that this was actually an awesome example – which, and I’m sorry – happened to include my 2 little kids – but that is fucking life.

I am a mother – and - I am by far, one of the most discreet mothers out there when it comes to over-sharing the last funny story about my offspring.
I get it, I can tell these anecdotes to their Grandparents.

Another friend, a Techie who is younger, but also a parent, said to me,
- You know how it is, these people are simply not interested in families, just in technology and the new latest thing, also, they don’t wear watches; were you wearing yours during this meeting?

Aw man. Yes,
I sleep with my watch on.
I like to know the time and I don’t have my iPhone glued to my hand.
I am weird that way I guess.

Anyway, now I know,
No parenthood talk and no watch wearing.

So,
This Penelope woman says that women shouldn’t be a part of startups. I will quote a few of her reasons (and offer you the option to read the whole gem of an article through the link):

* Startups have a lot of pressure to succeed bigger and faster than any normal company and women don’t want to give up their personal life in exchange for professional success.

* Women are under real pressure to have kids because they have a biological clock. The typical age of entrepreneurs is 25 and these women need to be looking for someone to mate with, marry by the time they’re 27, live together for a year before kids so must likely they will be very distracted during their prime startup time.

* This is why women don’t have startups: children. It’s not a complicated answer. Women want to control their time, control their work, to be flexible for their kids.

I did a search for her and She has kept this conversation going a long time, through many other blogs, sadly.

This Penelope woman was supposedly a businesswoman herself and now lives in a Farm with her husband and kids. She also has pigs.

So I say this,
Good for you Penelope,
Just don’t feel like you have to go around labeling the rest of the women who work, who have entrepreneurial dreams and whom also happen to be good mothers.

My advice is get some good data to support your theories or else write about apple pies and loving the Farm life.

Women out there,
Let’s be whomever we want to be, do whatever we want to do, start something, be a part of something that already started, or make cupcakes with our kids.

All of this is valid,
All of this is great.

And if you decide to go out there to meet the younger crowd carrying their android phones at all times,
Just don’t wear a watch.

(http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2010/10/09/women-dont-want-to-do-startups-they-want-children/)

1 comment:

  1. Do, whateva and do it right....and of course it can be done....do not pay attention to frustration around!
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.