I just dance.

I am a terrible dancer. Let me rephrase that, I suck at dancing. I’m also a terrible singer. I can’t carry a tune. However I do sing when I listen to songs that I like, just not too loudly out of respect for others.

What I really didn’t do for a long time was “dancing”. That is except for the occasional party or liquor-driven-dance-therapy with friends (Thanks Mara and Pavis). Then there are also those afternoons jumping around with my kids, dancing to the likes of Queen and Bowie.

But “dance-dance-dance”? Not really.

I wanted to, but it scared me and made me feel stupid -- and because I’m good at other things (Thank God) -- I figured ok Slap, just don’t dance.

But now it turns out that I’m dancing every Friday at 9:30 AM and it makes me insanely happy.

I don’t know if it’s the endorphins releasing a natural high, the energy levels in the room, our amazing teacher or simply the fact that I’m suddenly part of a group that has a mutual and unspoken understanding. But the fact is that I get in such a good place – it’s almost scary.

So I dedicated a couple of minutes to thinking about this. Why do I love my dancing class so much? Why indeed does it bring me so much joy?

Here goes my reflection.

My dance class helps me reset my fucking life and step outside of the issues that are presently worrying me. My dance class reminds me of my childhood - it produces a youthful vigor in me – it makes me feel quite young.

I also love my dance class because it requires far more attention and perseverance than my normal activities. The steps with Patricia are specific, so I don’t have a single opportunity to think of all of the other things going on in my life. During one full hour I get to exercise my heart as much as my mind.

I love the class because is just plain fun, because it makes me feel alive, feel free, it makes me feel like I can do it all.

I like to dance because it’s like celebrating life, because it makes me break a good sweat and because – as corny as this may sound - it's brings my joy to my soul.

And lastly, let me say to all my friends out there who know I’m a terrible dancer, dancing makes me honest, because in the end it’s only about allowing yourself to be who you are.

And who knew I was a dancer?

Thanks Patricia.
And,
Thanks to all the people that teach me something new everyday.
I cherish you all.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.