On love...




What the fuck do we do with love?

With the love we spend - or decide not to spend - our life with.

The other day I sat down at the table with a group of women and one kept explaining how she was dating these two men she “so looooved” while holding on to her ex and recently having found a lover.
Four “loves” basically.

One of the ladies in the table asked her, “When do you eat?”

When does one read? Cook? Rest? Say hello to the kids? No judgment here, multitasking works well for some, but it sounds horrible to me - because ladies - being in love with one man (or woman) is already a lot of work.

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about this. 
Love.
I have been reading about it too. It is insane how much has been written about the subject. I guess there are way too many broken hearts.
Many questions. Barely answers.

So I have read on love from an emotional and psychological perspective, as well as from a physical and chemicals perspective. And it really doesn’t matter from which perspective you look into it - the thing with love is - that it is amazing as much as it is horrible.

I stand by "love is all we need"*
But.
What kind of love do we aim for?
What kind of love do we want?

The idea of growing old with someone is as scary as spending your old age years alone.
Imagine how many years and years of giving each other grief, suffering and laughing, and crying and watching the wheels go round and round*… It sounds horribly boring as much as it sounds fantastic.

What kind of love does one need to go on?
Do we all need the same kind of love?
And when we find it how do we decide never to let go?
How do we jump?
Eyes closed. That’s for sure.

Love confuses me.
It pains me.
Yet,
Isn’t it amazing, wonderful and shitty and horrible and sad and lonely and electrifying and crazy - that fucking-perfect-feeling-of-being-in-love?
(Sigh…)

*Lennon over-quoting kinda day.

From Nora, my hero, the imperfect kind of love,

“I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.