Green card saga (episode #356)


Juliana and I got to Varick Street way too early and we went inside the offices of the Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services, forty minutes before our appointment.
I’ve been waiting for this day too long – so waiting for a couple hours more - not a problem.

It’s easy to picture the government facility we where at, white and bright hospital lights, gray furniture and a very unfriendly woman greeting “the immigrants” and giving them instructions in another idiom – definitely not English.

But all is good I thought… because we are here to have the officers take our biometrics and hopefully we’ll be getting our green cards soon.
After 15 years of paying taxes here in the United States of America, I believe it’s about time.

Everyone else in the place was much more amicable than the 1st official, in fact they all befriended Juliana, who kept asking way too many questions and became quite the “entertainment” while her mother – me – limited herself to over-smiling to the Asian woman who was taking our fingerprints and pictures. I was hoping that she would have some “pull” on the decision to grant us our residency.

The truth is that all in all it was a pleasant and simple process and all the people in the floor were very nice.
And then,
I cried.
Yes, I cried in the middle of this office, in the company of these unknown government officials and sitting on a gray chair holding my daughter’s hand who didn't know if she was supposed to cry too. I cried because I have been struggling with visas, embassies, long lines, appointments, eternal form filling and ongoing payments, for a very long time and the possibility of this tedious process ending is way too emotional for me. My life would be easier and Oh God, I need an easier life.

Then I raised my eyes and found the Asian woman, other ten Hispanic women and even the 1st unfriendly officer, smiling at me - knowingly.

Oh god,
I said,
- "I just want my green card"



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.