Today is World’s Sleep Day 2012


F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, "The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not being able to”. 
Let me agree with Mr. Fitzgerald because while they’re probably worst things – insomnia is definitely on my top list.
Unfortunately, for many people around the world, lack of quality sleep is a very common problem. And we all hear it over and over, sleep is a vital component of our well-being, and the lack of it, may affect our mental, physical and emotional health – and yes, this is all true. 
I am one of those women who doesn't sleep well and I recognize how my mental and emotional health, have definitely suffered the consequences.  

World Sleep Day was designed to raise awareness of sleep and these are their 10 Commandments of Sleep
  1. Establish a regular bedtime and waking time.
  2. If you are in the habit of taking siestas, do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
  3. Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion 4 hours before bedtime, and do not smoke.
  4. Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate.
  5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4 hours before bedtime. A light snack before bed is acceptable.
  6. Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
  7. Use comfortable, inviting bedding.
  8. Find a comfortable sleep temperature setting and keep the room well ventilated.
  9. Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
  10. Reserve your bed for sleep and sex, avoiding its use for work or general recreation.

I am at a loss with such list. 
I have a regular bedtime of 12 and a regular waking time of 7 AM, but the in-between lack of sleep is what actually kills me. I never take siestas. Ne-ver. I usually have beer or wine with dinner and this doesn’t happen four hours before going to bed, it can only happen while my kids are actually sleeping. I avoid caffeine but I have a hard time avoiding chocolate, especially when my husband is away. I can’t sleep without a little light because I am scared of darkness and unnatural phenomena and my bed is used for working when I’m too exhausted to sit at the table and complete my tasks for the day.

I wonder if there’s another list that would give me hope… 

Hope you all have many good nights of sleep, I know I probably won't...

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.